Join us on April 29th from 10am-5:30pm at the Classic Center (300 N Thomas St, Athens, GA 30601) for this important event on empowering our youth inside and outside of the classroom!
The End to School to Prison Pipeline Conference is a unique opportunity for educators, policymakers, and community leaders to come together to learn about effective strategies to combat the school-to-prison pipeline. Our team of experts will lead discussions on restorative justice practices and how they can be implemented in the classroom to promote healthy and positive relationships between students and teachers.
We will also discuss the importance of gang prevention and how to empower youth to make positive life choices. Special guest speakers include Mike Tafelski from the Southern Poverty Law Center, Shane Sims from People Living in Recovery, Janice Jerome from the Georgia Conflict Center, Maria Pinkelton from Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities, and ACC Solicitor General William Fleenor.
This conference includes a two-part session. Part one is for educators and the general public, and part two (free) is a youth empowerment session for middle & high school students and their parents. Towards the end, we will host a Youth Shark Tank for students with a go-getter, entrepreneurial mindset who want to take their business ideas to the next level! We welcome traditional and creative young entrepreneurs to enter to win CASH PRIZES! 1st Place: $300, 2nd Place: $200, 3rd Place: $100
Interested students may enter the Youth Shark Tank here.
Cost $50 for general admission for adults, $25 for College Students, and FREE for students k-12 (no cost for parents/chaperone)! Vending tables are $35 (informational/promotions only). Proceeds from this event will support the ESTPP Conference cost and AADM’s ESTPP program.
What to expect?
- 9:00 am Check-in complimentary continental breakfast provided
- 10 am Welcome message and Ice Breaker
- 10:15-11:00 am Dismantling the Pipeline (Mike Tafelski- Southern Poverty Law Center)
- 11:10-11:55 am Restorative Justice in the Classroom (Janice Jerome- Georgia Conflict Center)
- 12:00-12:45 pm Lunch
- 12:45-1:30 pm Juvenile Justice/Pre-Arrest Diversion program (William Fleenor- ACC Solicitor General)
- 1:40-2:25 pm Dismantling the Pipeline (Maria Pinkelton- Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities)
- 2:30-3:15 pm “How We are is Not Who We Are; Addressing Childhood Trauma”(Shane Sims- People Living in Recovery)
- 3:30-5:00 pm Youth Shark Tank & Youth Empowerment Guest Speaker
RSVP for the ESTPP Conference here!
Justice Partner Updates & Info
Looking for news and opportunities to be involved with UUFA’s Justice Partners? Sign-up for their newsletters (AADM & EJC) and visit the events pages on their websites: Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM) and Economic Justice Coalition (EJC).
Also check the link below for the UUFA Justice Round-Up.
UUFA Justice Round-Up
For highlights of all events–with UUFA Justice Partner’s and at UUFA–visit Round-Up of Justice at UUFA. You can always find this link also on the Justice page of the website: uuathensga.org/justice