Living Your Values
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Social Action Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Green Sanctuary Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Food Justice Team email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team email listserv.
- February 9: Carver Cards Are Coming! January 23, 2020One-of-a-kind collage cards by UUFA member Virginia Carver will be for sale on Sunday, February 9. Carver Cards are colorful, one-of-a-kind greeting cards using a variety of papers and natural materials. All proceeds will be used to purchase food items for the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank. ———————————————————————————-
- January 26: Food Justice Team January 27, 2020Do you eat? If so, you are invited to attend the next meeting of the Food Justice Team on Sunday, January 26, beginning at noon in the Conference Room. Grab your Fourth Sunday lunch and join in discussing programs and initiatives for 2020 including the Beef-Free Zone invitation and the showing of Cowspiracy. For further information, contact Kate Blane (email@example.com). ———————————————————————————-
- January 26: Welcoming Congregation Team January 27, 2020You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Welcoming Congregation Team on Sunday, January 26, from 5-6 p.m. The Welcoming Congregation Team serves to help UUFA to complete the renewal of our Welcoming Congregation recognition annually through education, advocacy, and action related to LGBT/TGQNB issues. This meeting will focus on activity planning for the 2020 calendar year. For more information about the UUA Welcoming Congregation renewal, click here. For more information, look for the Welcoming Congregation Team group in Ream (onrealm.org/uufa) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay for the Alphabet Family Gathering thereafter. ————————————————————————————–
- February 2: Social Action Committee January 14, 2020Be the change you want to see in the world. You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Social Action Committee (SAC) Sunday, February 2, beginning at noon in the Eskildsen Room. Can’t attend? If you would like to know what transpires in the UUFA SAC, join the SAC listerv here: http://lists.uuathensga.org/listinfo.cgi/social_action-uuathensga.org This listserv will let you know what transpires not only in the UUFA SAC but also in the local Athens area in terms of social action. Everyone is encouraged to sign up! For more information, contact SAC Chair David Jarrett (email@example.com). The Social Action Committee is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. —————————————————————————————
- CANtributions 2019 and 2020 January 16, 2020At the end of 2019, UUFA was in fourth place in the friendly competition among 25 faith communities, CANtributing 3655 nonperishable food items to the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank! This number is over 1000 more items than 2018! Many thanks to all who CANtributed in 2019. The wicker basket is willing and able to receive your donations of nonperishable food items, and cash or checks are also welcome. Please put the following in the memo line of your check donation: “Food Bank” and 1-8016. Current targeted items are peas, saltines, and cereal. Could you consider a CANtribution of one item a day? Or every other day? Or consider a birthday challenge (bring one item for each year you’re celebrating)? For further information, contact Karen Solheim (firstname.lastname@example.org). This initiative is hosted by the Social Action Committee (SAC), a part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ———————————————————————————–
- January 19: Green Sanctuary Team Meets January 20, 2020Interested in environmental justice? The Green Sanctuary Team will meet Sunday, January 19, at noon in the Kleiner Heritage Room. All are welcome. For information, contact Larry Dendy (email@example.com). ————————————————————————————-
- January 5: Green Sanctuary Meets January 6, 2020Interested in environmental justice? The Green Sanctuary Team will meet Sunday, January 5, at noon in the Kleiner Heritage Room. All are welcome. For information, contact Larry Dendy (firstname.lastname@example.org). ————————————————————————————-
- UPLIFT: Farewell 2019 January 16, 2020 Click here to read the latest UPLIFT newsletter. ————————————————————————————
- January 4: Justice Partner–AADM–Event January 6, 2020You are invited to join the Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM) for a community discussion and learning experience includes a special guest speaker from Southern Poverty Law Center. Attendees will “receive an updated edition of the 2016 report Whose Heritage?, the SPLC identifies 114 Confederate symbols that have been removed since the Charleston attack — and 1,747 that still stand.” For further information, contact UUFA AADM liaison Deb Brenner (email@example.com). – ———————————————————————————– ————————————————————————————–
- Possible New Year’s Resolution 2020: UUFA, a Beef-Free Zone?! January 23, 2020Members of the UUFA Justice Cluster invites you to participate in UUFA’s being a beef-free zone beginning January 1, 2020. As you consider bringing food for any event at UUFA, could you consider not including beef? Why you may ask? Every week during the month of January, the weekly announcements will contain an answer to this question. Stay tuned. ————————————————————————————-
- UUFA Diaper Drive–Thank You for 2019–Diapers Still Needed for 2020! January 16, 2020Many thanks to all who contributed diapers in 2019 for immigrant families in the Athens area. However, the need for diapers continues, so the Diaper Drive continues in 2020. All sizes are needed. Please place the diapers you bring near the CANtribution basket. Questions? Contact SMT member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org) The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ————————————————————————————-
- January 20: UUFA Participates in Athens MLK Day of Service January 23, 2020The Social Action Committee encourages UUFA members and friends to sign up now to participate on January 20 in one of two Athens MLK Day of Service projects: Historic Brooklyn Cemetery Clean-Up and Beautification Athens Area Homeless Shelter Indoor and Outdoor Workday Click on each project above to receive more information and to register to participate. All volunteers are encouraged to attend our Kickoff Celebration on the morning of the Day of Service. The Kickoff Event will be held at Clarke Central High School on Monday, January 20, 2020, from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. The school is located at 350 S. Milledge Avenue, Athens, GA 30605. The first 300 registered volunteers will receive free t-shirts, and a light breakfast will be served. Participants will hear from several speakers before heading out to their work sites around 9:30. Click here for more information about the Athens MLK Day of Service. You are invited to wear a UUFA or Side with Love t-shirt. For more information, contact Karen Solheim (email@example.com). —————————————————————————————
- New Procedure for 2020-21 Causes of the Month January 23, 2020In determining 2020-21 Causes of the Month, the UUFA Social Action Committee (SAC) is inviting the members of the congregation to choose the organizations that will receive Cause of the Month funding through a two-step process. First, any member may nominate a Cause of the Month (limit one per member). Nominations will open on February 1, 2020, and close February 20. Second, UUFA members will then vote on the nominations on Sunday, March 29, from noon to 1 p.m. in the Eskildsen Room. Advance voting by paper ballot or online also will be available from March 19 until noon March 28, 2020. For further information, contact Deb Brenner (firstname.lastname@example.org) ————————————————————————————
- January 19: AADM’s 5th Annual Athens in Harmony Concert January 20, 2020The UUFA Social Action Committee (SAC) invites you to the 5th Annual Athens in Harmony concert: Honoring Dr. King Jr. and Inspiring Through Music. January 19, doors open at 6 p.m. www.FoundryAthens.com for tickets and information. Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM) is a UUFA Justice Partner. For further information, click For further information, click here. ————————————————————————————-
- January 19: Sanctuary Movement Team December 26, 2019Interested in immigrant justice within the Athens community and ways you can help? Join us for the next gathering of the Sanctuary Movement Team on third Sunday of the month—January 19–beginning at noon-ish in the conference room. To join the Sanctuary Movement Team listserv, first click the headline above and then click here or go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uufa-sanctuary-movement-team/join. Need more information? Contact Nancy MacNair (email@example.com or 706.546.5237) or visit http://www.uua.org/immigration/witness/partners/newsanctuary. The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————-
- January 16 and 17: Our Daily Bread January 20, 2020What’s cooking? Hopefully you might be. 🙂 Help is needed on Thursday, January 16, at 2 p.m. to prepare the monthly meal for Our Daily Bread. Help is also needed on Friday, January 17, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. to serve the meal at First Baptist Church. Our Daily Bread Community Kitchen serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday and a sack meal on the weekends. Annually, this program provides more than 60,000 nutritious meals with gracious hospitality to men, women, and children in need and offers a gateway to other transformational services. Partnering with more than 70 volunteer groups. Our Daily Bread in Athens has served meals seven days per week, 365 days per year since 1989. To sign up to serve and/or to cook, contact David Jarrett (firstname.lastname@example.org or 706.338.2798). Our Daily Bread outreach is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————–
- January 5: Social Action Committee January 6, 2020Be the change you want to see in the world. You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Social Action Committee (SAC) Sunday, January 5, beginning at noon in the Eskildsen Room. Can’t attend? If you would like to know what transpires in the UUFA SAC, join the SAC listerv here: http://lists.uuathensga.org/listinfo.cgi/social_action-uuathensga.org This listserv will let you know what transpires not only in the UUFA SAC but also in the local Athens area in terms of social action. Everyone is encouraged to sign up! For more information, contact SAC Chair David Jarrett (email@example.com). The Social Action Committee is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. —————————————————————————————
- January 12: New Sanctuary Movement & Faith in Public Life January 17, 2020 The Sanctuary Movement Team (SMT) invites to learn more about the ways that you and your congregation can get more involved in immigration advocacy. We will have speakers from the New Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta and Faith in Public Life, to break down what we can expect in 2020 in terms of immigration policy and the best ways for people of faith to make their voices heard for those who are being harmed. Please support the asylum seeker being sponsored by the New Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta by bringing a $10 gift card from Walmart to help with necessities. Your support would be greatly needed and appreciated. Thank you! When: January 12, 2020, 2-4 p.m. Where: Unitarian Universalist Metro Atlanta North, 11420 Crabapple Rd, Roswell, GA 30075 RSVP Here: http://fpl.actionkit.com/sign/uu-roswell-immtraining-120/ For further information, contact SMT member Julie Sapp (firstname.lastname@example.org). ————————————————————————————–
- PARES Tutoring Opportunities and Update December 30, 2019Members and friends of UUFA have been tutoring about 20 students at Alps Road Elementary School since the onset of the the 2019-20 school year. We have received news that the kindergarten children we are tutoring have moved up several levels since the beginning of school! Having more tutors for the remainder of this school year would be wonderful so that we could help more students move up. Please let UUFA PARES (Partnership with Alps Road Elementary School) liaison Caryl Sundland (email@example.com) know if you are available for tutoring so that you can fill out a background check form and become involved with this wonderfully successful program. ————————————————————————————-
- Composting Continues–Pitch In December 19, 2019Don’t put your pizza crust, cookie crumbs or green salad scraps in the garbage after Coffee Hour or Pot Luck. COMPOST THEM! The Green Team is composting at UUFA. Look for the compost pail (and maybe a friendly Green Team member waving a “Compost Here” sign) just outside the kitchen door. What can you compost? Any food scraps except meat and excessively greasy stuff. Composting reduces waste, saves landfill space and enriches dirt. Do Mother Nature a favor and COMPOST. For further information about this or any other Green Sanctuary initiative, contact Liz Weaver (firstname.lastname@example.org). ——————————————————————————
- January 20–UUFA Participates in MLK Parade 2020 December 26, 2019You are invited to join the UUFA Social Action Committee (SAC) and Palms of Fire Drum Circle on Monday, January 20, in marching in the Athens-Clarke Fourth Annual MLK Parade. The parade begins at 3 p.m. Please wear your Side with Love and/or UUFA t-shirt. What to expect: By 2:30 p.m, parade participants check-in in front of Morton Theater 195 W. Washington St, Athens, GA 30601. At 3 p.m., the parade begins (on the corner of Hull and Washington Street near Browns Barbershop). Parade participants must walk in groups of 5 or more people and all participants are encouraged to make signage that represents the theme, which is “Stand With Love, Not Hate. Let No Man Pull You Low Enough to Hate Him.” -Martin Luther King, Jr. Participants can also promote a cause or a positive message. 4:00 pm Block Party and Club Crawl proceeds will benefit the AADM “End School To Prison Pipeline” program. For more information, click here. Questions? Contact Deb Brenner, AADM UUFA liaison: email@example.com —————————————————————————————–
- 2019 DACA Dollars Needed January 2, 2020Can you contribute towards someone’s DACA renewal fee, which is $495? For every DACA renewal fee dollar contributed between now and December 31, the Social Action Committee will match it (up to $495)! Please write your check to UUFA with DACA in the memo line. Every dollar counts! from JoBeth Allen of ULead: DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) is the only protection un(der)documented young immigrants in the Athens area have from deportation. DACA also allows young people to get work permits and driver licenses. The DACA holders we serve include parents of young children, college students, small business owners, service industry workers, and others. One, Damaris, is completing a degree at Athens Tech this semester; after working with us to renew her DACA two years ago she studied the process and now advises other DACA renewers every week during U-Lead! The current administration has banned new DACA applications, but immigrants can still renew their DACA protection every two years. While some lawyers charge high fees to fill out the paperwork, trained volunteers at U-Lead Athens provide that support for free. We also pay all or part of the renewal fee of $495 for anyone who cannot afford it. Our highest priority is keeping people safe from deportation. We average payment of 3-4 renewals a month (and help about an equal number with just the paperwork). We’ve spent $8415 over the past 5 month period, depleting our fund considerably. We can keep 1 person safe from deportation for two years – we donate $495. We can keep 2 people safe from deportation for two years – we donate $990. For further information about this SMT initiative, contact Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ———————————————————————————–
- February 22: UUFA Trip to Atlanta’s National Center for Civil and Human Rights (Click here for info and to register!) January 19, 2020You are invited to attend the UUFA trip to Atlanta on Saturday, February 22, 2020, to visit Atlanta’s National Center for Civil and Human Rights. We’ll carpool from UUFA, leaving at 9:30 a.m., arriving back at UUFA around 4 p.m. Please bring a sack lunch. Cost is $22 per person to be paid by the end of January (includes ticket, plus parking and gas for those who drive extra people). If you cannot go with the group, tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase. Click here to register. For further information or to RSVP, contact Connie Bruce (706-254-7822 or email@example.com). This event is being sponsored by the UUFA Racial Justice Team. ———————————————————————————
- January 28: Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition at UUFA December 26, 2019Interested in immigration issues? You are invited to attend the Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition to be held on Tuesday, January 28, from 7-8:30 p.m. at UUFA. The Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition, comprised of members of some 15+ faith communities serving the Athens area, is dedicated to offering hospitality, safety, and opportunities for all immigrants, regardless of status, to participate fully in our shared community. This group traditionally meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month. For further information, contact UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org). ———————————————————————————–
- Please Don’t Donate Expired Food October 1, 2019While the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank welcomes your donations of canned and non-perishable food items, please note they cannot distribute expired food. Please check the expiration dates of your items before bringing them to donate. You might want to consider eating the food yourself, since some canned goods are edible after their expiry date. Alternatively, empty the contents (some can be composted) and recycle the packaging. If you know a farmer in the area, sometimes they will accept expired canned goods to feed to livestock, as well. The wicker basket as you enter the sanctuary is always ready to receive your unexpired, non-perishable food items and/or monetary gifts. Contact the office if you have any questions or concerns (email@example.com, 706-546-7914). ————————————————————————————