Living Your Values
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Social Action Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Green Sanctuary Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Food Justice Team email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team email listserv.
- November 17: Green Sanctuary Team Meeting November 6, 2019Green Sanctuary Team will meet on the patio after the service on November 17, 2019. We will share progress on projects and anything else that comes up. For more information, contact Liz (email@example.com). ————————————————————————————-
- November 24: Alphabet Family Gathering November 5, 2019Do you identify anywhere on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum? Then come join us for fun and fellowship on the fourth Sunday of every month from 6-8 p.m.bin the UUFA Fellowship Hall. For further information, contact Morgan Henry. ———————————————————————————–
- November 24 to December 1: Family Promise (fna IHNA) Week November 12, 2019Once again, UUFA will be assisting Holy Cross Lutheran Church in hosting several Athens area homeless families from Sunday, November 24 to Sunday, December 1. During this holiday week, provide meals, serve as evening hosts, spend a night as an evening host, or come on the final Sunday to be a day host. If you have not volunteered for this program previously, we will arrange for you to participate in a brief and helpful training session. Please use the following link to indicate when you’re able to volunteer: volunteersignup.org/Y3WEX Thanks, as always, for your commitment to this worthy local cause! For further information, contact Mark Hodges (firstname.lastname@example.org). ————————————————————————————–
- PARES Donation Opportunity: Book Donations for Elementary Students November 12, 2019Wanted: Good quality books (especially with photos of African-American or Hispanic children) for the Alps Road Elementary School library and for students (to take home). Book donations can be placed in the designated container as you enter the sanctuary. For further information, contact PARES volunteer Rosemary Woodel (email@example.com). ————————————————————————————–
- 2019-20 UUA Common Read Book–Click Here for Info to Order November 6, 2019An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz (Beacon Press, 2015) and An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States for Young People adapted by Jean Mendoza and Debbie Reese (Beacon Press, 2019) are the new 2019-20 Common Read. Click here to order your copy and to indicate your wish to join in the tbd Common Read discussions. In 2015, Beacon Press published an extraordinary book by Indigenous scholar and activist Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz that challenged readers to learn US history through a narrative that centers the story, the experiences, and the perspectives of Indigenous peoples. In 2019, Beacon Press published an adaptation for young people by Jean Mendoza and Debbie Reese. Upending myths and misinformation that have been promulgated by leaders and media, it asks readers to reconsider the origin story of the United States taught to every US school child. ————————————————————————————–
- November 19: Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition October 26, 2019Want to participate in immigrant justice in the Athens area? You are invited to the next meeting of the Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition to be held on Tuesday, November 19, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Oconee Street UMC, 595 Oconee Street, Athens. The Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition, comprised of members of some 15+ faith communities serving the Athens area, is dedicated to offering hospitality, safety, and opportunities for all immigrants, regardless of status, to participate fully in our shared community. This group traditionally meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month. For further information, contact UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org). ———————————————————————————–
- November 14 and November 15: Our Daily Bread October 26, 2019What’s cooking? Hopefully you might be. 🙂 Help is needed on Thursday, November 14, at 2 p.m. to prepare the monthly meal for Our Daily Bread. Help is also needed on Friday, November 15, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. to serve the meal at First Baptist Church. Our Daily Bread Community Kitchen serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday and a sack meal on the weekends. Annually, this program provides more than 60,000 nutritious meals with gracious hospitality to men, women, and children in need and offers a gateway to other transformational services. Partnering with more than 70 volunteer groups. Our Daily Bread in Athens has served meals seven days per week, 365 days per year since 1989. To sign up to serve and/or to cook in August, contact David Jarrett (email@example.com or 706.338.2798). Our Daily Bread outreach is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————–
- November 17: Sanctuary Movement Team October 26, 2019Interested in immigrant justice within the Athens community and ways you can help? Join us for the next gathering of the Sanctuary Movement Team on third Sunday of the month–November 17–beginning at noon-ish in the conference room. To join the Sanctuary Movement Team listserv, first click the headline above and then click here or go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uufa-sanctuary-movement-team/join. Need more information? Contact Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org or 706.546.5237) or visit http://www.uua.org/immigration/witness/partners/newsanctuary. The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————-
- November 3: Social Action Committee (SAC) Meeting November 4, 2019Be the change you want to see in the world. You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Social Action Committee (SAC) Sunday, November 3, beginning at noon in the Eskildsen Room. Can’t attend? If you would like to know what transpires in the UUFA SAC, join the SAC listerv here: http://lists.uuathensga.org/listinfo.cgi/social_action-uuathensga.org This listserv will let you know what transpires not only in the UUFA SAC but also in the local Athens area in terms of social action. Everyone is encouraged to sign up! For more information, contact SAC Chair David Jarrett (email@example.com). The Social Action Committee is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. —————————————————————————————
- November 10: Ethics of Eating November 12, 2019Join guest speaker Judy Bradberry on Sunday, November 10, at noon and explore how food choices impact our health, the environment, and animals and learn how new technologies in food science are changing the way we eat! Participants will learn how each of us can make a difference in making this world a better place… one bite at a time. The presentation will last 90 minutes. Lunch before the presentation will be provided for participants by the Food Justice Team at UUFA, so registration is a must, and a minimum of 10 registrants is required. Please register by clicking here or at the Ways to Engage table. For further information, contact Vivian Sellers (firstname.lastname@example.org). ——————————————————————————————-
- November 3: Deadline for Christmas Angel 2019 (Click here for a link to sign up!) November 4, 2019Can you be a Christmas Angel? UUFA will again participate in the Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) gift program for needy children. Each holiday season many children in foster care receive few, if any, gifts over the holidays. Due to the generosity of its members and friends, UUFA has successfully participated in this program for over 20 years. The Social Action Committee is taking the lead this year in UUFA’s participation in the Christmas Angel Project. Please click here (or go to https://goo.gl/forms/ymrf6SdmskEPIcO33) if you would like to sponsor a child or children or pick up a paper form on the sanctuary credenza to complete and leave in the basket provided. Please note that special requests such as for the age or gender of the child(ren) cannot be accommodated. The deadline to deliver gifts to UUFA is Sunday, December 1. Please make sure the name tag you are given for your child is clearly affixed to the gift bag. For further information, contact Connie Bruce (email@example.com or 706.254.7822). The Christmas Angel Project is being sponsored by UUFA’s Social Action Committee, a part of the Justice Cluster. —————————————————————————————–
- November 16: Justice Fest 2019 November 6, 2019You will not want to miss Justice Fest 2019! Hosted by the Athens Economic Justice Coalition (a UUFA Justice Partner) on Saturday, November 16, from 4 to 7 p.m. at UUFA, Justice Fest will feature the UUFA Chalice Choir and Palms of Fire, the UUFA Drum Circle. Fenwick Broyard, Director of Lifespan Religious Education for the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta will be the keynote speaker. In addition, Lee and Fred Smith, Sr., will receive the Dr. Ray MacNair Lifetime Achievement Award. Your donations at this event are tax deductible in that EJC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. For further information, click here. ————————————————————————————————–
- January 28: Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition at UUFA October 7, 2019Interested in immigration issues? You are invited to attend the Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition to be held on Tuesday, January 28, from 7-8:30 p.m. at UUFA. The Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition, comprised of members of some 15+ faith communities serving the Athens area, is dedicated to offering hospitality, safety, and opportunities for all immigrants, regardless of status, to participate fully in our shared community. This group traditionally meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month. For further information, contact UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org). ———————————————————————————–
- Diaper Donors Needed November 6, 2019Many thanks to all who have contributed to the Sanctuary Movement Team’s Diaper Drive. The need for diapers for immigrant families in the Athens area continues, so the Diaper Drive continues. Sizes needed are 1,3,5,6,and 7. Please place the diapers you bring near the CANtribution basket (to the left before entering the sanctuary). Questions? Contact SMT member Nancy MacNair (email@example.com) The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ———————————————————————————-
- Please Don’t Donate Expired Food October 1, 2019While the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank welcomes your donations of canned and non-perishable food items, please note they cannot distribute expired food. Please check the expiration dates of your items before bringing them to donate. You might want to consider eating the food yourself, since some canned goods are edible after their expiry date. Alternatively, empty the contents (some can be composted) and recycle the packaging. If you know a farmer in the area, sometimes they will accept expired canned goods to feed to livestock, as well. The wicker basket as you enter the sanctuary is always ready to receive your unexpired, non-perishable food items and/or monetary gifts. Contact the office if you have any questions or concerns (firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-546-7914). ————————————————————————————