Living Your Values
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Social Action Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Green Sanctuary Committee email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Food Justice Team email listserv.
Click HERE to sign up for the UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team email listserv.
- PARES Tutoring Opportunity September 10, 2019As UUFA enters year two of its partnership with Alps Road Elementary School (PARES), tutors are needed! Tutors need to complete background checks and attend a training: Possible training dates: Monday, September 16 at 11 a.m. and Thursday, September 19 at 1 p.m. Other opportunities also exist for giving of time, talent, and treasure. Contact UUFA PARES liaison Caryl Sundland. (email@example.com) to volunteer or to receive for more information. —————————————————————————————
- PARES Time, Talent, and Treasure Opportunities September 4, 2019UUFA is entering year two of its partnership with Alps Road Elementary School (PARES) Any and all volunteers welcome! Opportunities exist for giving of time, talent, and treasure. Click here to sign up or contact UUFA PARES liaison Caryl Sundland. (firstname.lastname@example.org). —————————————————————————————
- September 28: LatinxFest September 12, 2019The UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team and the Social Action Committee are sponsoring and invite you to attend LatinxFest 2019 on Saturday, September 28, in Downtown Athens (Washington Street, between Pulaski and Lumpkin). LatinxFest is the annual celebration of Latinx community, during the Hispanic Heritage month. —————————————————————————————
- PARES: When It Rains, It Pours! September 4, 2019Alps Road Elementary School, UUFA’s adopted school, has requested the donation of new or gently used umbrellas and rain ponchos for student use during rain storms. Apparently, rainy weather affects attendance; according to school principal Audra Olukoya , attendance was 95% on a sunny day, and 88% on a rainy day. Please place your donations in the bin so designated before you enter the sanctuary. For further information, contact UUFA PARES liaison Caryl Sundland (email@example.com or 706.424.8575). ————————————————————————————
- September 29: Athens Pride Presence September 2, 2019 Sunday, September 29 2-6 p.m. downtown Athens Once again, UUFA will be participating in the Athens Pride Festival. Help person the UUFA table? One hour shifts are available! To RSVP, click here. For further information, contact Karen Solheim (UUFA.KarenSolheim@gmail.com or 706.202.7515). This activity is being sponsored by the Social Action Committee, a part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. ———————————————————————-
- UUFA Justice Partner–AADM–August 25 Newsletter September 5, 2019 Click here to read the latest newsletter from the Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM), a UUFA Justice Partner. ————————————————————————————-
- Diaper Donors Needed September 2, 2019Many thanks to all who have contributed to the Sanctuary Movement Team’s Diaper Drive. The need for diapers for immigrant families in the Athens area continues, so the Diaper Drive continues. Sizes needed are 3, 4, and 6. Please place the diapers you bring near the CANtribution basket. Questions? Contact SMT member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org) The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ———————————————————————————-
- September 19 and September 20: Our Daily Bread August 29, 2019What’s cooking? Hopefully you might be. 🙂 Help is needed on Thursday, September 19, at 2 p.m. to prepare the monthly meal for Our Daily Bread. Help is also needed on Friday, September 20, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. to serve the meal at First Baptist Church. Our Daily Bread Community Kitchen serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday and a sack meal on the weekends. Annually, this program provides more than 60,000 nutritious meals with gracious hospitality to men, women, and children in need and offers a gateway to other transformational services. Partnering with more than 70 volunteer groups. Our Daily Bread in Athens has served meals seven days per week, 365 days per year since 1989. To sign up to serve and/or to cook in August, contact David Jarrett (email@example.com or 706.338.2798). Our Daily Bread outreach is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————–
- September 24: Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition September 2, 2019Want to participate in immigrant justice in the Athens area? You are invited to the next meeting of the Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition to be held on Tuesday, September 24, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Oconee Street UMC. The Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition, comprised of members of some 15+ faith communities serving the Athens area, is dedicated to offering hospitality, safety, and opportunities for all immigrants, regardless of status, to participate fully in our shared community. This group traditionally meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month. For further information, contact UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team member Nancy MacNair (firstname.lastname@example.org). ———————————————————————————–
- September 15: Sanctuary Movement Team August 29, 2019Interested in immigrant justice within the Athens community and ways you can help? Join us for the next gathering of the Sanctuary Movement Team on third Sunday of the month–September 15–beginning at noon-ish in the conference room. To join the Sanctuary Movement Team listserv, first click the headline above and then click here or go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uufa-sanctuary-movement-team/join. Need more information? Contact Nancy MacNair (email@example.com or 706.546.5237) or visit http://www.uua.org/immigration/witness/partners/newsanctuary. The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster. ——————————————————————————-
- September 8: UUFA Justice Partner (AADM) Event September 9, 2019Click here for further information. ————————————————————————————–
- September 1: Social Action Committee (SAC) Meeting September 2, 2019Be the change you want to see in the world. You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Social Action Committee (SAC) Sunday, September 1, beginning at noon in the old sofa room. Can’t attend? If you would like to know what transpires in the UUFA SAC, join the SAC listerv here: http://lists.uuathensga.org/listinfo.cgi/social_action-uuathensga.org This listserv will let you know what transpires not only in the UUFA SAC but also in the local Athens area in terms of social action. Everyone is encouraged to sign up! For more information, contact SAC Chair David Jarrett (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Social Action Committee is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster. —————————————————————————————
- Please Don’t Donate Expired Food September 12, 2019While the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank welcomes your donations of canned and non-perishable food items, please note they cannot distribute expired food. Please check the expiration dates of your items before bringing them to donate. You might want to consider eating the food yourself, since some canned goods are edible after their expiry date. Alternatively, empty the contents (some can be composted) and recycle the packaging. If you know a farmer in the area, sometimes they will accept expired canned goods to feed to livestock, as well. The wicker basket as you enter the sanctuary is always ready to receive your unexpired, non-perishable food items and/or monetary gifts. Contact the office if you have any questions or concerns (email@example.com, 706-546-7914). ————————————————————————————
- September 1 to 8: Next Family Promise (fna IHNA) Week September 2, 2019The Athens program to support homeless families in transition has changed its name from Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens (IHNA) to Family Promise, which is the name of the national organization with which IHNA was affiliated. The UUFA will again be supporting Holy Cross Lutheran Church in hosting several homeless families for the week of September 1 through September 8 as part of Family Promise of Athens. If you have not volunteered for this program previously, we will arrange for you to participate in a brief and helpful training session. Please use the following link to indicate when you’re able to volunteer: volunteersignup.org/Y3WEX Thanks, as always, for your commitment to this worthy local cause! For further information, contact Mark Hodges (firstname.lastname@example.org). ————————————————————————————–
- UUFA Justice Partner–AADM–July 15 Newsletter July 18, 2019 Click here to read the latest newsletter from the Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM), a UUFA Justice Partner. ————————————————————————————-
- September 15: Deadline to Submit to UUFA Art Exhibit on Sustainable Plant-Based Agriculture August 23, 2019You are invited to submit an art work for display in “Eat Your Vegetables,” an exhibit celebrating plant-based agriculture at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens (UUFA) gallery. The show will take place in October and November 2019 and is sponsored by the UUFA’s Food Responsibility and Ethical Eating (FREE) group. Submissions are invited in a variety of media, including painting, drawing, sculpture, collage and photography. The focus of the show is sustainable plant-based agriculture: fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains. Possible subjects include (but are not limited to) small-scale vegetable growing operations, community or home gardens, farmers markets, family meals, grocery stores, still life arrangements of vegetables, herbs and/or fruits, etc. A prize of $100 will be awarded for the entry judged to be best in show. UUFA receives a 20 percent commission on any sales. Please contact Mark Hodges (email@example.com, 706-850-8387) by September 15 to enter an art work in the show. Space is limited, so each artist will be able to enter one submission for consideration. We will arrange for a time in the first week of October to receive entries to the UUFA at 780 Timothy Road, Athens. All artwork to be hung must be wired. Further information about the show is available from Mark Hodges at the same address and phone number shown above. —————————————————————————–
- 2019-20 Causes of the Month June 21, 2019The Social Action Committee is pleased to announce the following 2019-20 Causes of the Month: July–Nurses Clinic, August–Economic Justice Coalition, September–Food to Kids, October–The Ark, November–The Cottage, December–Community Support for Families in Crisis, January–Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement, February–Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens and Our Daily Bread, March–Dignidad Inmigrante En Athens, April–to be determined by Green Sanctuary, May–Imagination Library, June–Sweet Olive Farm, and July–U-Lead. In addition, UUFA’s Partner Church in Okland, Romania, will be the recipient of Share the Plate contributions on fifth Sundays during the 2019-20 program year (December, March, and May) So far, this program year (July 1 until now), over $21,000 has been given to the 2018-19 Causes of the Month. Want to help set criteria how Causes of he Month are selected? Want to help refine the Cause of the Month selection and voting process? Your input is needed. Contact SAC Chair David Jarrett (firstname.lastname@example.org). ——————————————————————————–